Kinsei

All 384 Art Reviews

183 w/ Responses

...

Has a very impressionistic feel to it. I think you should explore this a little deeper.

One thing I'm not liking is the waterfall on the big rock. Not the one on the right, but the one in the center. It just doesn't have the flow that the rest of the picture has.

For the most part I think this is alright. I would like to see a few more in this style.

You Know....

I need to learn how to customize like this. I have plenty of stuff I would enjoy giving some personal touch to.
I know how to paint, but I think my biggest problem is sealing it once I'm done. What kind of glaze do you finish with, and what technique do you use. Got any pointers or tutorials you can slide my way?

Ricepuppet responds:

There's a lot of tutorials on the net, but fixing it the proper style is a unique process. It takes a lot of practice - i started with smaller, cheaper things to experiment on -

Its just a regular coating b.t.w.

Good Start

The style is ok, could use some refining.
It's also good that you did some action poses as well.

One big problem I am seeing is that your turn-around at the top is off. You need to get everything to line up. The body gets bigger the more you go to the right. The Height lines make it a tad obvious.
The feet need to be on the same ground level. it feels like you drew these separately with out the height lines and then just put them together.
Sadly those flaws really hurt this piece since a character sheet isn't much about the art its self as it is about a visual guide to the character

Shotgunmadmax responds:

Very awesome review thank you for the help. I actually thought while i was drawing that the bomb boy on the right was too small so I made him a bit bigger. I couldnt agree more with the visual aid, I was more focused on making the character look good in the picture. So thank you for your review helps me a lot for my next character sheet.

Unique

I like the continuous flow of this unique piece. Great way to make use on simple movement animation to bring some appeal to the piece.

I noticed your wips and I could have guessed this was what was coming.

Great job, great execution .

Nicol3 responds:

Thanks!

Poor Kermit

He has really let him self go over the years.
Once learning he is nothing but someon's puppet, ans shown in Nicol3;s Entry: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nicol3/kermitten. Kermit grew a deep seeded hatred for Jim Henson. He loathed the daily molsetation of Jim shoving his cold hand up his rectum, but after time, Kermit grew dependent on Jim's hand. After the Passing of the Puppet master, Kermit started drinking hard pond water, followed by late night binges of flys behind the local Taco Hell fast food restaurant. His sadness and sorrow soon began to affect his friends and loved one. He pushed Ms. Piggy in to prostitution to pay for his fluff habit, after being indited for imperilment of the muppet show's funds. Times grew even worse for the little green frog. Years of run-ins with the law finally led to the robbing of aa liquor store leaving 3 dead in the wake of Kermit's rampage.
After the Porky pig and Ms.Piggy affair, Kermit couldn't take it any longer and the final result was portrayed in SoConfused's Picture: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/soconfused/it-aint-easy-being-green

Toast-Tony responds:

...wow!

Fluff Splatter

I'm sure Jim Henson would have been proud.
It would have been cool to see some more of the fluff splattering.
The pot of gold seems like it was skewed a little and now seems very flat. Also I think you should have had a highlight on the body of Kermit. It would have given it a real pop factor.

over all you have done very well with the detail. The gun to the fluff. Nice job.

SoConfused responds:

Thanks, I was originally thinking of having numbers and letters fly out of his head along with the fluff due to the nature of the TV show, but I forgot about that idea. As for the pot of gold being flat, it was more of an after-thought. I only added it because I finished the picture and went "you know what should be at the end of that death rainbow? Suicide gold!

Thanks for the review.

The Gorilla

It infiltrates my Brain!
!!!!!
!!
Sweet experiment. Even if you take it down after the flood, I thin kyou should put it up in the forum so we can check it out if needed.

Hai.... this is me being an ass :P
I like the texture you have on the ground and background. I had to take a moment to look at your last two pictures to see if you have been using that recently and I hadn't noticed.... but this is the most extensive so far.
Very nice :P
Carry on :3

PixelCake responds:

OH NOES NOT TEH KINSEI

I haven't seen you in a while where have you been hiding?

Anyway, I haven't used THIS particular texture before :) I usually use the same boring one but I really like the white texture this time instead of the black one.

Good...

Its a lovely start. A couple of areas could use some work, but over all this picture is good.
Lets start with some of the problems I'm seeing and move on from there.

One of the First things to catch my eye is the blue splotches on the floor. They are very distracting. And if they are taking away attention from the main model, then it is something that needs to be adjusted. Perhaps lowering the opacity of it like the red splotch under the piano would be best. Like I said you don't wish to draw attention from the main subject of your scene.

The next big thing I want to address is the lighting. I am expecting this nice polished grand piano, although you have one here, you cannot see it. The use of a couple ambient lights would have been excellent, but a good strong highlight to put a solid shine on the piano would been awesome.
The extra lighting would also have helped you get a better feel for your setting. At the moment it looks like you simply dropped a omni off to the left there, and quite closely to the ground I might add, and then had some simple spot lights used for casting shadows. Sadly it just isn't working for the scene. Adding some of those ambiance lights but extruding them from casting light so they will force your shadows to taper off instead just being solid all the way through would have helped as well.
When I look at this, the wood floor, the white walls (I'm not even sure what your trying to do with those red and blue lights.....) and I think that the best lighting would have been sunlight. Treat it as if there is a big set of windows just beyond the camera and have it flooding the room with light. Use a mask on a spot light to get the feel of the window shape. And then have the strong light on the floor just barely creeping in to the frame.

Now something I tend to get on to a lot of artist for is the size. Give us a high resolution picture where we can see every little detail. Please! I understand that it can sometimes be rather hard on a computer to sometimes render at larger sized images, more details, and extensive maps, but it is truly worth it in the end. You can really get a good feel for a scene when you can just see everything.

Now on to some of the things I like.
I like the piano model. from what I can see, I like. Again this draws back to the lighting issue just a bit, but that has been discussed. At the moment I cannot tell if you used a good bump map or actually modeled each key. Either way I think it looks good.
I also like that you put up some sheet music. so many people do a piano but never give it any music. I feel that a little touch like this in the scene gives the piano a played feel, not just setting in an empty room.

Over all I like the scene and I think it is good. You need to work on some lighting, but other than that, I don't see many other flaws.

m1kclark responds:

The splotches and red & blue lights were what I remember from high school plays. :-P
I've actually got 6-7 lights going, 3 that cast shadows. I've tried sun-lighting before (the Wraith in my profile), but I didn't like it, thus the attempt at mood lighting. And I completely forgot a highlight: thanks!
Also, yes, I modeled each key.

Not Impressed

Don't take this the wrong way, but text just isn't impressive. Even if it is a nice render, you should just have done something better with the scene.
Perhaps if you modeled every brick in the background, and mortar in between and then made one hell of a good map for it all, then I would be more kind.

eagle3000 responds:

I don't think this almost photorealistic work should deserve 1. Compare it to everyday renders.

On topic:
The text itself wasn't meant to be "impressive". The picture itself had to have a meaning. Please, next time, provide a more constructive critic with a valuable meaning.

If you think you have what it takes, then come at me. I'll enjoy this.

34, Male