View Profile Kinsei

All 382 Art Reviews

182 w/ Responses

:D

Squee!!!!!!
You put the zombie in the portal :D.
I would so scout you right now :3

Over all you have done an awesome job of tying this together. The missing chunks of flesh, the missing leg, the rocking chair, and the piece of wheat coming for them mouth just make it awesome. You even have him singing. Very cool.
Its like you read my mind when drawing this.

TwistedXP responds:

I'm glad it means this much to you. I just drew what I thought a banjo playing person would look like once turned zombie. Seems great minds think alike.

Nice Piece

Over all I have to say, solid piece. IT works pretty well. And yes Viewing it full size is recommended, it looks so much better.

The composition and style are good. I enjoy the designs of the characters as well as the vehicles in he scene. It is simple and effective all in one.

The background is good, The use of pastel colors is nice and separates it from most of the foreground, save for one. The walker seems to blend a tad on some areas. Although the shadowed areas do not. So although I would suggest a slight color change to the walker, it could still work the way it is.

One thing that I feel that I have to mention is the seeming use of two levels of shadow and highlight. Although the background has quite a few levels of depth since it makes use a few more colors, the rest does not.
with only using two levels it gives it some depth, but not much. I can see you are using some alternating colors on the eyes of the walker, but that is about it,
I think this could benefit from at least one level of highlight and a second level of shadow, to really show how dark the area can be.

Although lacking highlights and deeper shadows, you have kept the coloring and shadowing very consistent over the entire piece. So it does have some visual appeal.

I look forward to more.

Long Time No See Bob

So the Gauntlet is coming together, and nicely I might add. I am very pleased with the progress so far. The reason I only gave a seven though is because that this is still a progress shot. I can see some juicy things coming from this in the future.

Lets start with some shadows. Even though this is full size, and will cast shadows on its self decently enough, I think you should paint in some to help it out. Go around to the areas where things overlap and paint some darker blues, navy, or black in to the folds. This will give a much more deep feel to the piece. And don't forget to gradient out the paint so it fades in to your current blue.

Some accents would be good too. I don't want to plug in to this too much since I'm sure that some are coming. But I will give some suggestions. That big open spot on the back is begging for something big and flashy. Like a big red gem or something. I sat red because red does go well with blue. (Yay! I know some color theory!) Some accents of gold seems like it would go well with the blue as well.I would like to see some edging and some engravings with the gold paint or something.
I would also perhaps do some fry brushing with some gray or silver on some of the spikes to give the a warn feel.

Good Photo too. Its nice and clear, and I can see a lot of the detail. I know I'm usually riding you pretty hard on the photo quality, but I think you did a pretty good job this time. I also noticed that you "Cut it out" so their would be no distraction as well. Good choice. I would like to see lots of different High quality views when you get this complete.

Keep me posted

Congrats Aigis!

Not only a front page, but 3rd place in the Contest. I'd call that a win.
Keep it up Aigis

Congrats Wiv

Nice Job, you got first place in the contest, Wiv.
Well done piece indeed.

Wivernryder responds:

I got fifth place, but thanks :P
I was really surprised!

Protection Is A Good Idea

Who knows where that banana has been.

Getting Better

Let us start with my first impression. That impression was that this was a staff and that this was much larger than what it actually is. I was honestly thinking that it was a 6 foot staff or something. And with that idea, I figured that this was the only embellished part of the staff, and thus the focus of the Item.
As it was shown though, I was wrong and it is a much smaller item than I thought.

I would like to commend you on the carving of the disk and sphere. They are pretty nicely done Very clean and smooth.
Without much back story on your LARP, I cannot comment much on what the symbol should look like, but IâEUTMll try and comment off some speculation. I would embellish this a little. Perhaps some pseudo-engravings done with some etching tools, or something to give the symbol a little bit more of expensive feel. Some creative dry brushing with some black and gold paint can make it look very antique. Although that is if it is suppose to be metal. Now if it is suppose to be wooden, then I would attempt to perhaps still add some carved embellishments for a little style and flair.

The chain and ribbon is a nice touch, good and personal since the piece is geared toward that. Although they are nice, I do have a slight issue with the ribbon. I cannot tell if it is one of those ribbons that have the wire in the edges, or just because it is lying down, but the way it seems to hold itself up is kind of bothersome. Not like something that someone would wear in their Hair. I would expect a little less rigidness to it. And then perhaps stain it a little. If she was wearing it when she and the town was attacked, it would make sense to have it a little more tattered and perhaps blood stained. This would allude to it being from a tragic event for those who know little or nothing of the back story of the ribbon.
The paint isnâEUTMt bad. The overlay lends itself to some unique looking paint. It has a very deep metallic color shining through which looks nice. I think some more styling or perhaps some masking on the âEUoeStickâEU could help a little with some of the jazz of it.

Over all, the majority of earthy tones give it a slightly lacking feel. I would suggest adding something that really draws the attention. The easiest thing I think would be a brighter ribbon.

Would have liked a couple of closer shots for some of the detail, like that red mark that I see, but it still looks very nice at a distance. You have gotten better at the presentation of your creations, which is good. Continue to practice taking photos of your props.

MajesticBob responds:

Kinsei old friend, there is indeed carvings in the sphere. Roughly (Very roughly) in the pattern of human skull plates. The color is alternated between shiny black and flat black with gold specks. The carving lines are inlaid with silver color and the red dot is actually a hole. The ribbon does not have a wire in it. The color shceme may seem "Boring" but they match the characters personality. As always, I'm honored by your review.

A Render, OK, But Of What?

Oh! there is a tree in the center... um alright....

I'm sorry, I'm just not impressed.
You have this random displaced mesh over the top,, a ground plane, and, a Tree?!
And not a very well lit tree either. No really I didn't even see the tree until I got a look at the high resolution, and even then, still hard to see.

I'm sorry, but this, this is just bad. Even if I was to classify this as some sort of surreal or abstract piece, it doesn't pass a message or meaning along at all.

Light the tree better, even if it was a colored light, it would be better than having people guessing at what the hell is going on.
If you want some meaning to your work then put some sort of meaning or ideal behind it. Cause a name alone does not a meaning make.

BenTibbetts responds:

OK, thanks for taking the time to review. Honestly I like how this one came out but you're totally entitled to your opinion.

Bout Damn Time

So you finally got around to uploading it , great!

ooh nice high quality photo too.

Pretty Sweet...

I tend to be kind of a personal fan of the theme of fanstasy and adventure. So reviewing pieces like these always bring some form of enjoyment.

As a basic overview, this reminds me a lot of the Shakes And Fidget style. Not that that is a good thing, it just brings some comical images to mind. Lets be honest here, this isn't the typical hardcore fantasy piece. This is more of the lets have a fun but awesome adventure. And I love both equally, so no points off there. So, on with it!

One of the first things to be noticed about this is the color. It is colorful, and that color is nice.
I'm thinking it is a pretty safe bet that you colored this digitally. and although it may be digital, some of your color strokes remind me so much of actual markers. Which is kind of cool. I like what you have done here.
You also have good atmospheric colors with the saturating colors in the distance. So again good.
The only think I don't like on the color is the clouds. you just kind of have these white cut out clouds. I think you could have added a little shadow to their underside. Give them a feel of depth, you did well with that most everywhere else, just not the clouds.

The second thing I take up on is the line art. As a person struggeling to develop my own digital inking skills, this has become something that I pretty much check out with everything I look at these days. You know How dynamic is it, does it have good weight and character. is it think , or is the artist going to make it invisible. You know, all the same questions we ask ourselves, I'm sure.
Anyway enough rambling. The line art is good. You went with some nice interior lines while having a solid outline. The lines are pretty dynamic and fitting for the piece.
If I had to bitch about something on the line art, its the road in the background. I like that you have done it in brown rather than black, but I think you should have thinned it a little. give it the appearance of being less.
Since I'm on the road (Get it :D.... er yeah...) I think you should have tapered the road in the distance a little more too. again just to aid th foreshortening of the piece.

The composition is pretty solid and well balanced. It lends its self to the interaction of the characters as well.

Lighting, much like the coloring, where I should have mentioned this in the first place, is good. I think you have done well with your shading and highlights. So Major kudos onthat one.

Over all. Great piece. I like it. Really awesome
Even fave'd it.

If you think you have what it takes, then come at me. I'll enjoy this.

34, Male