Kinsei

664 Art Reviews

286 w/ Responses

7 reviews are hidden due to your filters.

Congrats Wiv

Nice Job, you got first place in the contest, Wiv.
Well done piece indeed.

Wivernryder responds:

I got fifth place, but thanks :P
I was really surprised!

Protection Is A Good Idea

Who knows where that banana has been.

Getting Better

Let us start with my first impression. That impression was that this was a staff and that this was much larger than what it actually is. I was honestly thinking that it was a 6 foot staff or something. And with that idea, I figured that this was the only embellished part of the staff, and thus the focus of the Item.
As it was shown though, I was wrong and it is a much smaller item than I thought.

I would like to commend you on the carving of the disk and sphere. They are pretty nicely done Very clean and smooth.
Without much back story on your LARP, I cannot comment much on what the symbol should look like, but IâEUTMll try and comment off some speculation. I would embellish this a little. Perhaps some pseudo-engravings done with some etching tools, or something to give the symbol a little bit more of expensive feel. Some creative dry brushing with some black and gold paint can make it look very antique. Although that is if it is suppose to be metal. Now if it is suppose to be wooden, then I would attempt to perhaps still add some carved embellishments for a little style and flair.

The chain and ribbon is a nice touch, good and personal since the piece is geared toward that. Although they are nice, I do have a slight issue with the ribbon. I cannot tell if it is one of those ribbons that have the wire in the edges, or just because it is lying down, but the way it seems to hold itself up is kind of bothersome. Not like something that someone would wear in their Hair. I would expect a little less rigidness to it. And then perhaps stain it a little. If she was wearing it when she and the town was attacked, it would make sense to have it a little more tattered and perhaps blood stained. This would allude to it being from a tragic event for those who know little or nothing of the back story of the ribbon.
The paint isnâEUTMt bad. The overlay lends itself to some unique looking paint. It has a very deep metallic color shining through which looks nice. I think some more styling or perhaps some masking on the âEUoeStickâEU could help a little with some of the jazz of it.

Over all, the majority of earthy tones give it a slightly lacking feel. I would suggest adding something that really draws the attention. The easiest thing I think would be a brighter ribbon.

Would have liked a couple of closer shots for some of the detail, like that red mark that I see, but it still looks very nice at a distance. You have gotten better at the presentation of your creations, which is good. Continue to practice taking photos of your props.

MajesticBob responds:

Kinsei old friend, there is indeed carvings in the sphere. Roughly (Very roughly) in the pattern of human skull plates. The color is alternated between shiny black and flat black with gold specks. The carving lines are inlaid with silver color and the red dot is actually a hole. The ribbon does not have a wire in it. The color shceme may seem "Boring" but they match the characters personality. As always, I'm honored by your review.

A Render, OK, But Of What?

Oh! there is a tree in the center... um alright....

I'm sorry, I'm just not impressed.
You have this random displaced mesh over the top,, a ground plane, and, a Tree?!
And not a very well lit tree either. No really I didn't even see the tree until I got a look at the high resolution, and even then, still hard to see.

I'm sorry, but this, this is just bad. Even if I was to classify this as some sort of surreal or abstract piece, it doesn't pass a message or meaning along at all.

Light the tree better, even if it was a colored light, it would be better than having people guessing at what the hell is going on.
If you want some meaning to your work then put some sort of meaning or ideal behind it. Cause a name alone does not a meaning make.

BenTibbetts responds:

OK, thanks for taking the time to review. Honestly I like how this one came out but you're totally entitled to your opinion.

Bout Damn Time

So you finally got around to uploading it , great!

ooh nice high quality photo too.

Pretty Sweet...

I tend to be kind of a personal fan of the theme of fanstasy and adventure. So reviewing pieces like these always bring some form of enjoyment.

As a basic overview, this reminds me a lot of the Shakes And Fidget style. Not that that is a good thing, it just brings some comical images to mind. Lets be honest here, this isn't the typical hardcore fantasy piece. This is more of the lets have a fun but awesome adventure. And I love both equally, so no points off there. So, on with it!

One of the first things to be noticed about this is the color. It is colorful, and that color is nice.
I'm thinking it is a pretty safe bet that you colored this digitally. and although it may be digital, some of your color strokes remind me so much of actual markers. Which is kind of cool. I like what you have done here.
You also have good atmospheric colors with the saturating colors in the distance. So again good.
The only think I don't like on the color is the clouds. you just kind of have these white cut out clouds. I think you could have added a little shadow to their underside. Give them a feel of depth, you did well with that most everywhere else, just not the clouds.

The second thing I take up on is the line art. As a person struggeling to develop my own digital inking skills, this has become something that I pretty much check out with everything I look at these days. You know How dynamic is it, does it have good weight and character. is it think , or is the artist going to make it invisible. You know, all the same questions we ask ourselves, I'm sure.
Anyway enough rambling. The line art is good. You went with some nice interior lines while having a solid outline. The lines are pretty dynamic and fitting for the piece.
If I had to bitch about something on the line art, its the road in the background. I like that you have done it in brown rather than black, but I think you should have thinned it a little. give it the appearance of being less.
Since I'm on the road (Get it :D.... er yeah...) I think you should have tapered the road in the distance a little more too. again just to aid th foreshortening of the piece.

The composition is pretty solid and well balanced. It lends its self to the interaction of the characters as well.

Lighting, much like the coloring, where I should have mentioned this in the first place, is good. I think you have done well with your shading and highlights. So Major kudos onthat one.

Over all. Great piece. I like it. Really awesome
Even fave'd it.

Muddled And Lacking Definition

To start off this piece has some serious flaws. It is very rough and could use quite a bit of refining.
One major tip I will give is that, don't be afraid to push out both ends of the spectrum. Don't be afraid to get those shadows dark, and the highlights bright.
This also applies to the outlines of things. They don't have to be solid super dark bold outlines that comics and illustrations use, but at least some of line to separate pieces from one another. You kind of do this on one side of Tricky, but not the other.
This wraps me around to one of the first points I want to make in this critique. You seem to have this very rough line surrounding Tricky I think I can bet that you either pasted this from a second composition you did, or tried to mask it out from the current one. And thus the result is a un-blended line that looks rough. At a smaller level, it doesn't look so bad but it becomes more noticeable as you look at this longer, or the larger it gets. It keeps the character from being apart of the piece, and gives it a feeling on not belonging.

The entire piece seems to lack a real direction of choice. it looks very much to be blobbed in there and then just worked on. This is really prevalent in the wall in the back. This kind of goes back to what I was saying about not being afraid of getting some dark color, or even black, in to the composition.
If you are using Photoshop or GIMP or some other program that supports layers, they can be some of your best friends when it comes to digital painting.

I know it seems I am beating on this defining outline a lot, but one of the best examples as to why you need them, is in the hair. The hair blends in to the sky way too much. At first I didn't even realize he had any hair, and to be honest, I didn't realize it until I looked at this for quite a while.
As the hair flows in to the mask, you have some shadow their, and you try to get it on the top of the hair, but it is not enough. Also I think you should have gone a but bigger with the hair.

As for the mask. The coloring and highlights aren't bad, but your scratches could use some more work. Make them look more like scratches. Add some strong definitive highlights to parts of their edges to help the strand out. also the tilt seems a bit off

Over all, this isn't a great piece. It needs a lot of work. You need some definition the the forms you have placed in to the piece and to work on your shadows. Your lighting is decent, but you need to push out those deeper dark shadows.
I really don't feel like this is a madness piece, but much like a piece that has been constructed and then labeled Madness since it seems to have some matching colors and themes.

Keep practicing, and good luck.

<deleted> responds:

thank you for the detailed review most of what you said is correct but i didn't pasted tricky from somewhere else and i don't know how masking works so i really don't know how that happened. i am working on another maddens piece as i wasn't satisfied with this one.

Very Well Donw!

I ended up hunting up the original picture so I could compare the two of them. And I will admit you have done a very, very nice job.

As for improvements, I would like to see some more stronger highlights and a few stronger shadows. This will really help make the helmet look like it was polished to a high sheen.

I also wish you had a much larger version of this. I'm one of those who like to see everything, and I do mean everything.
Really nice man. really nice.

thdark responds:

Your image hunting skills are astounding, haha.

I agree with the improvements, I just spent far too long on this, considering it was just supposed to be a study.

As for size, I actually made it larger than the source image I had on hand. I would have loved to start from a larger source, but this drawing was on a whim.
Thank you for the critique and comments, I appreciate it!

Pretty Excellent Render...

You have a pretty nice looking piece here. The only thing I would like more of is a much larger size. I would really like to see that detail you got on those guns.

Nice

I like it kashi, but I think you could use a couple of dark spots to be the craters on the moon.
it just kind of feels right to have a couple of spots on the moon

congrats on the tarot card slot

Kashi responds:

Gah, where were you in Stickam when I was taking comments?
:P Good idea though.
And why don't I get a pagelong critique? I feel so left out D:

If you think you have what it takes, then come at me. I'll enjoy this.

Age 35, Male